It was a night of utter humiliation for Barcelona as they went out of the Champions League after a crushing defeat to Bayern Munich.
Pundits labelled their 8-2 quarter-final loss “pathetic and embarrassing”, while Spanish football writer Guillem Balague said Barca’s proud heritage had been “thrown in the bin”.
Long-serving defender Gerard Pique did not hold back after the match, saying changes were needed – amid widespread reports boss Quique Setien, who has only been in the job since January, would be sacked.
What next for the five-time champions of Europe, once the most feared club side in the world? Having finished runners-up to bitter rivals Real Madrid in La Liga, the pressure was already mounting on Setien, who is seven months into a two-and-a-half-year contract. His chances of remaining in charge after his side’s capitulation in Lisbon are slim, with some reports circulating that Barca have already decided to sack him.
Gerard Pique says big changes are needed at Barcelona following their “humiliating” 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.
The 33-year-old defender, who has won 20 major titles over 12 years with the club, added that he would be “the first to leave” if the club wished it.
Friday’s loss was the heaviest Barca have suffered in Europe and ends a season that has also seen them lose the La Liga title to Real Madrid.
“We have hit rock bottom,” said Pique.
“This is not the first, nor the second, nor the third time. We are not on the right path.”